The Best (Budget-Friendly) Wellness Retreat
Have you ever considered doing a detox or going on a retreat but failed to do so, because it’s too hard or costs too much?
And wouldn’t you prefer to detox and retreat in a way that feels liberating instead of limiting?
If you could detox and retreat in a way that leaves you fully nurtured and nourished – physically, mentally and spiritually – (rather than starved of life’s little pleasures) would you do it?
I want to let you in on a little secret – you can do it.
This detoxifying wellness retreat is a little different to the standard idea of going on a juice cleanse or eating super clean for a week.
This one is focused on filling your body, mind and soul with things that make you feel amazing and clearing out the things that drag you down. And best of all, it won’t cost you thousands of dollars.
Where is this wellness retreat?
Well, this is a self-love themed ‘staycation’. You don’t have to travel anywhere.
All you need to get started is a day or weekend that is completely free, and that you can fill with activities that you love.
Look in your calendar and block out a day or weekend, and then comes the fun part – planning your self-love themed activities.
If you’re unsure where to start, here are a list of things you can fill your ‘staycation’ with:
See also My Favourite Self-Care Tools
- Journaling – you might even like to buy a brand new, pretty journal especially for the weekend.
- A bath – you can make this extra indulgent by lighting your favourite candles, and filling the bath with Epsom salts, bubbles, a bath bomb, or essential oils (or even all of these things!).
- Time free from social media – this self-love ‘staycation’ doesn’t need to be shared on Instagram, so put your phone on airplane mode and enjoy being disconnected from the online world.
- Brunch with your best friends – book a table at that health food café you’ve been meaning to try and catch up with your besties.
- Reconnecting with people face-to-face – organise a get together with your family, friends or partner. Have everyone leave their phones on one side of the room and really connect with each other, free from any distractions.
- Yoga – take your mat and head out to your favourite yoga studio for a sweaty sesh or a deep, slow stretch, or see these tips for an effective at-home yoga practice.
- Meditation – get still and connect with your breath. Check out this simple guide to meditating and the free online course noted at the end.
- Watch your favourite movie – put on your comfy pants, curl up on the couch and dig into your favourite flick.
- Read an actual book – pick up that book you’ve been meaning to read, make a cup of tea and get reading.
- Lay in the grass and watch the clouds – earth yourself and spend some time cloud spotting.
- Spend time in nature – head down to the beach, go for a hike or have a picnic in the park.
- Get baking – find an indulgent and healthy recipe to try your hand at. You could make a raw cheesecake, gluten free muffins, a slow cooked meal or anything else that takes your fancy. There are some nourishing recipes here at CASA DE KARMA, you could even go straight to the delicious treats section.
- Gaze at the stars – take a drive away from the city lights and take in the beauty of the night sky.
- Make a vision board – get out your scissors and the stack of magazines you’ve been holding on to, then put together a beautiful vision board that encompasses your dreams for the future.
- Do nothing at all – enjoy some unscheduled time and simply relax.
- Write a love letter – this could be to yourself, your future self, your partner or even a letter to your best friend. Fill it with appreciation and pass on the love.
- Get creative – you could paint, draw, write, cook, knit or let your imagination guide you.
- Dance – put your favourite songs on and dance around your bedroom. Ditch the pants and dance in your underwear for some extra feel good vibes.
- Pamper yourself – paint your nails, give yourself a massage with your favourite moisturiser or oil and repeat love-filled affirmations as you do.
- Play with oracle cards – take some time to connect with your intuition and see if the cards you pull offer you so much needed guidance.
- Get a facial or a massage – or why not treat yourself to a few hours of indulgence at a day spa.
You could try all of these or only a few. This is your self-love themed ‘staycation’ and yours only. You can do absolutely anything you like for the time you dedicate to this DIY retreat. If there is an activity that makes you feel amazingly great, make sure you do it. If there’s something you don’t like doing, don’t do it until after the detox is over.
I’d love to hear how you fill up your self-love ‘staycation’. Let me know in the comments below.
P.S. Do you know someone who needs a staycation and might like these ideas to help create their own budget wellness retreat? Be a caring pal and share this article with them now.